September 20, 2014

Object Stories: Mona, Pooja, and Aarti's Notebooks


In the last year, I became particularly preoccupied with the idea of photographing objects; the more I pursued object photography, I started thinking about the stories behind the objects and the notion that objects themselves can be stories.
What would happen if I brought together objects, people, and stories then? In my new photographic endeavor, Object Stories, I wished to engage in dialogue with people and ask about the significance of objects (or not) in their lives; and if they did matter, discover the stories behind the ones most precious to them. This project presents the people whom these objects belong to and the stories underlying the objects; it is also a work in progress, constantly evolving, resulting in a differently conceptualized and presented Object Story each time.
For my first installment, last month, I spoke to a group of young teenage girls I met at Sambhali, an incredible Jodhpur-based non-profit organization actively working towards empowering underprivileged Rajasthani women and girls through education, vocational training [such as sewing], self defense and more to ensure that they become confident, socially aware and financially independent individuals. I discovered the organization three years ago during a visit to Jodhpur, which happens to be my home-town and have kept in touch with them since.
I spent a few hours with Mona, Pooja, and Aarti along with their friends, Sanju and Rekha, listening to them talk about their lives: their lives as child-brides, and the seclusion and insulation of their lives prior to Sambhali, how Sambhali has definitively and positively changed them, infusing them with so much self-awareness and confidence, and their aspirations and fears. Talkative, bubbly, inquisitive, protective, and philosophical, they in turn took me to their favorite Ganesh temple, their homes, their families, and lives.
When I asked them about the objects that mattered to them the most, they interpreted the idea as the ones that would best represent them - and they each produced three notebooks-journals which were presented to them by a Sambhali volunteer. It contained their sewing and embroidery swatches, their photographs, and bits of information about themselves. Far from having a voice or agency of their own once upon a time, they had literally written and were continuing to write their lives into being. 

image
                                             Trio of Stories

image
                                                Mona, 15, Jodhpur

"Before we came to Sambhali, we just stayed at home…at the most, we went out to gather branches for the chula [wood-fired stove[. We never even went to school. I unknowingly got married when I was ten years old along with my older sister. Till date, I have never seen my groom’s face. We had no idea what our lives were all about. Coming to Sambhali has changed everything: we are now filled with so many hopes and dreams for the future."


image

image
                                                Knitted Dreams
image
                                    Pooja, 16, Jodhpur

"Even after marriage, we want to keep on coming to Sambhali. We come here every day between 9-2pm apart from Saturdays and Sundays. On those days, we feel something big is missing from our lives."

image
image
                                              Aarti, 16, Jodhpur

"We had never even picked up a pen in our lives…and now we are learning English, Hindi and Maths. We have also participated in an English drama, done a video-photo workshop, and are learning boxing and lathi [baton] as part of self-defense. Earlier, we used to be hesitant about speaking to anyone…we now know how to approach people and address them. “

image
image
                                            Looking into the Future

"We want to be further educated. We want to sew and make things for other. We want to be something and stand on our feet."

I appreciated the opportunity of getting a glimpse into these girls' lives and thoughts through the medium of their notebooks. I do wonder what else they will fill these notebooks with; all I nevertheless wish is that they keep on filling the pages of their lives...and may there be hope and promise even in the blank pages.

What did you think of this first of the Object Stories? I would love to hear your thoughts!

----

With many thanks to the founder of Sambhali, Mr Govind Singh Rathore, the team, and of course, the spirited girls themselves for all their help in facilitating this feature!

4 comments:

  1. Replies

    1. Am so glad to hear that you found it inspiring, Priya! The project is still in its nascent stages and I need to fine-tune it a little bit...but the main thing is that I am looking forward to speaking to varied people and learning about the objects they value and more importantly, showcasing their stories:)

      Delete
  2. Most interesting to read how Object Stories evolved. What an excellent idea to introduce us viewers to something beyond the image of the object and bring us stories through them. It is sure to result in some great reading as well as imagery.
    Thoroughly enjoyed this post too. Now there is the abiding curiosity about what the rest of the pages in the young women's notebooks might contain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thank you so much Priya as always for your thoughtful, perceptive, and upfliting comments...it really means much to me. This project had been brewing in my mind for months but it only came to fruition in Jodhpur last month...luckily, I was able to get the support from Sambhali, who in turn put me in touch with these girls. I too was curious as to whether my intentions/experiment would work so really appreciate your appreciation:)! Let's see how and where my future Object Stories take me...

      I too wonder about what the notebooks will contain - it seems to me that this is their sole space of their own, a room of their own to speak - and they will be free to decorate it as they wish. It might be interesting to do a follow up post and document the journey of the notebooks...

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time out to leave a comment. I look forward to hearing from you!